Wednesday, July 24, 2013

New recipes and Chocolate Covered Marble Loaf cake

Hey all!! So I am super excited because I bought a book, and not just any book, but a Gluten free miracle.... I have had it for 48 hours and am in LOVE!

I met a mom at work who recommended this book to me... I googled the book and was sold after looking at 1 recipe.... She gives you the easy recipe for her all-purpose flour blend and uses it in most of her recipes.. so make a big batch and bake away! 

Baking this way also saves a ton of money, as buying store-bought mixes and all purpose flours adds up pretty fast.... 

This fabulous cookbook is Silvana Nardone's Cooking for Isaiah

Even though it is a dairy-free cookbook, I substitute cows milk for her "rice milk" as I am not dairy-free



Her All purpose flour recipe is as follows: 
6 cups white rice or brown rice flour
3 cups tapioca flour
1 1/2 cups potato starch
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons xanthan gum

mix all flours together and ta-da! you've got the perfect base! 

Now I would love to be like that girl in the Julia Child movie "Julie and Julia" who makes her way through the cookbook in a certain amount of time, but nursing school is my #1 priority so that commitment may send me over the edge. 
I am, however, going to try as many as I can over the next couple months! 

Today I am going over to a friend's house for dinner, so of course i offered to bring a dessert. 
I chose Silvana's Chocolate Covered Marble loaf cake: 

Ingredients: 
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons boiling water
2 large eggs, at room temp
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup water
1 cup Silvana's all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 
3 tablespoons, all vegetable shortening, room temp

Directions: 
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 and grease a 4.5 by 8.5 inch loaf pan.
2. in small bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and boiling water
3. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs until yellow and frothy, add in water, oil, and vanilla
4. In separate small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, whisk into egg mixture until just combined. transfer 1/3 of batter to smaller bowl. 
stir in cocoa mixture into the smaller bowl of batter, making one bowl of white batter and one of chocolate
5. spoon batters into pan, alternating colors
6. bake until golden, about 50 minutes, use toothpick to test 

7. let cool completely in pan on wire rack and remove when cool to rack once more. 
8. in medium microwavable bowl, melt together the chocolate chips and shortening and stir until smooth. Let cool slightly, then pour over cake and spread with spatula.
9. cool in fridge to help harden chocolate coating faster if needed


Happy Living!
~M


No comments:

Post a Comment