Thursday, June 27, 2013

Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies


Hey all!!!
After a morning of lifeguarding, I needed an afternoon project before heading to babysit for the night.

So, I decided to tackle the recipe that rules all: classic chocolate chip cookies. I had yet to master this in a gluten-free fashion.

Following the advice of a GF mom at the pool I work at, I headed to our neighborhood Trader Joe's. I had only been here 2 times as I normally visit Kowalskis for my GF needs. But... I must say, I am converted!

 I substituted their all purpose baking mix (GF) for the three GF flours needed in this recipe. It worked perfectly and the cookies were delicious!

Enjoy with a glass of cold milk and an air conditioned room!

This recipe is adapted from Gluten-free Goddess' website: she has some great recipes!


Ingredients:

1 cup sorghum flour
3/4 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
1/2 cup almond flour


I substituted 2 1/4 cup Trader Joe's Gluten free all purpose flour for this: See picture below... 


1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar ( I used trader Joe's organic Brown Sugar)


1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, beaten 
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Rounded 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used TJ brand) 


Optional:
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Instructions:

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sorghum flour, potato starch, almond flour, xanthan gum, sea salt, baking soda, and brown sugar.

Add in the oil, eggs and vanilla extract.

Beat the dough for two minutes, until it is sticky and smooth.

Add in the dark chocolate chips; and stir by hand to combine. Add in walnuts or pecans, if desired.

Note: If it is hot and humid, cover and chill the dough for one hour.

Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Form the dough into 28-30 balls. Place a dozen or so on the lined baking sheet and press down lightly- not too flat.

Bake for 14 minutes. The cookies will look golden- but still feel slightly soft to the touch. They crisp a bit as they cool.

Cool cookies on a wire rack.


Makes 28 to 30 cookies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment